In an interview with BinnenWerk, Cris van Amsterdam tells what inspired him in the design from cinema to living space.
In 1909, the theater opened its doors as Flora Bioscope Theater in the Bleidenstein city castle at Oudegracht 156. The operators were the Germans H.F.A. Lübbe and E. Wulff. After a major renovation, the narrow, deep cinema could accommodate about 500 seats and a ticket cost between 10 and 50 guilders. In the early years there was an explicator who provided explanations for the silent films. Flora had the Dutch first in 1929 with the screening of a sound film. In 1939 A.F. Wolff took over the operation. After the renovation in 1950, the cinema was renamed Camera. Six years later, an extension followed to the adjacent building at number 154, which housed the Studio, with 212 seats.
The Studio took on the character of an “Arte house” cinema, while the “better public films” were programmed in the Camera. In 2015, the Wolff Camera had two rooms with a total of 504 seats. On March 15 of that year, the cinema closed, at that time the oldest still operating cinema in the Netherlands.
Watch the full interview and a sneak preview of the property here.